• Meetings every Tuesday at 2:40 in M211

• The Eyes and Ears of BC High

• Follow the Eagle on twitter: @BCHighEagle

Three albums you might have missed

Delano Franklin '17, Contributor

Since the music at the top of the charts is truly rather frightening, I thought I might look back on this year’s lesser-known, yet stylish, new albums. These three artists came out with their debut studio albums this year, and they stuck out to me the most.

Album 1: + by Ed Sheeran
This year, there were a lot of British artists making their mark here in the US, but Ed Sheeran stood out as an amazing singer-songwriter among them. I’ve been listening to this album since it came out in the UK last September, but it was released here in the US in June and peaked at number 5 on the Billboard 200. Ed really is a versatile singer, with his songs ranging from Brit-Hop and rap to folkie love songs. He stays true to his singer-songwriter image throughout everything he sings. I haven’t even spoken about his voice, which is, for lack of better words, pretty awesome. The album is personal, powerful, and listener-friendly, so I encourage you all to take a listen.
Listen for:
•”Grade 8″
•”You Need Me, I Don’t Need You”

Album 2: Born to Die by Lana Del Rey
When I first heard about this album, I thought I’d hate it and it would be 98% cheezy, jazzy, torch songs. It turned out to be very good. Lana Del Rey found a golden middle between Adele and Amy Winehouse. Those two sounded like they belonged in the 80s; my parents liked them, but I couldn’t stand them. Lana Del Rey, however, was able stay cool and modern. Whenever I hear her voice, Elvis Presley comes to mind. She created something very new. This album combines her bluesy pop style with her hip-hop and jazz influences. All in all, it was surprisingly pleasant to listen to and deserves a space on your iPod.

Listen for:
•”Born to Die”
•”Video Games”
•”Million Dollar Man”

Album 3: Channel Orange by Frank Ocean
This album is not within my typical genre, so the amount of time I spent listening to it is rather shocking. I listened to this album after the media attention Frank Ocean received this summer. His lyrics are so casual and deep, that it’s easy to become engrossed in them. I don’t really know how to describe him musically. His songs are brokenhearted, yet relatable. The instruments range from snare drums, to piano, to handclaps. This album is full of love songs. I’d say it combines R&B with classic pop, but that really doesn’t do his storytelling justice. Listen to it for yourself, if you’re looking for something different.

Listen for:
•”Thinkin Bout You”
•”Pyramids”
•”Bad Religion”

Three albums you might have missed