• Meetings every Tuesday at 2:40 in M211

• The Eyes and Ears of BC High

• Follow the Eagle on twitter: @BCHighEagle

Week of November 12th: Billboard top 5 song reviews

Delano Franklin '17, Contributor

1. “One More Night” by Maroon 5

Overexposed

★★★★

This song surprised me.  It’s just about the only one song the album where the band stays even slightly true to their roots. I found Overexposed to be this band’s sellout album; “Payphone” has been out for months and still upsets me when I hear it. But this song is a tribute to their bluesy, New York City pop beginnings. Yes, the instrumentals are artificial, and the lead singer’s voice is heavily edited, but it’s catchy, well-performed, and deserves the top of the charts for at least a little while.

2. “Gangnam Style” by PSY

Gangnam Style

★★★

Honestly, when I first heard this I started laughing. Then, when I saw the music video I started laughing more. Then, I had a friend tell me what the lyrics meant in English and I started laughing even more. The song earned three stars for being a hilarious joke, but a terrible song. For those of you without someone to translate for you, Gangnam is basically the Beverly Hills of South Korea and the singer is bragging about himself over obnoxious electric music. K-Pop is not my favorite genre by any means, I find it much too sugary, and I know that this will be stuck in my head for the next month, at least.

3. “Some Nights” by fun.

Some Nights

★★

As I write this, I’ve listened to this song carefully five times, yet I still have no idea what this man is singing about. The parts that I can make out sound vaguely entertaining, so this received more than one star. This band is rather new, you might have heard their “We Are Young” from a few weeks ago. That’s really all I have to say about it. It was nothing special, it was rather strange, actually.

4. “Diamonds” by Rihanna

Unapologetic

★★★

This song isn’t that bad, actually, if you’re into this kind of dancy pop. It deserves a spot high on the Billboard. It didn’t get more stars because Rihanna must have done at least twenty other songs that sound almost identical to this. I get that this is her style, but she is on her seventh studio album at the age of 24, and these songs are quickly becoming old.

5. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift

We are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Oh, Taylor, just when I thought you had written songs describing every possible relationship problem a teenage girl might have, you come out with this masterpiece. If someone else sings the one line in this song that she came up with herself, at the top of their lungs, I just might scream. I remember the good old days when she stuck to country music; she was good, too. She may still have hope, as she is the youngest singer on this list. This song is already so overexposed, that I fear I’ll hear it on the radio months from now.