• Meetings every Tuesday at 2:40 in M211

• The Eyes and Ears of BC High

• Follow the Eagle on twitter: @BCHighEagle

Trying Something New

Trevor Wakefield '17, Contributor

Trevor Wakefield
Most seniors in high school have been around the block and generally know what they’re doing. They’ve gone through three years of high school; they know who their friends are and what they like to do. Trying new things seems at the back of everyone’s mind. They simply want to get through the quarter. It would be crazy for a senior to randomly join a new sport for no real reason. Well, I did, and it might have been crazy.

For me so far, senior year has been a relatively easy and low-stress year. I have found that I simply have less homework than I used to have. To use up some of this spare time, I decided to join the indoor track team. There was no way I was going to get cut (it’s a no cut sport), so I figured why not? I would give it a week or so and see what I thought. When I first started out the workouts were fairly lax, and we seemed to spend a ton of time stretching. It was fun enough and a great workout. For the first week my legs were really sore because I had never ran so much consecutively. But, after another week, my body adjusted to the running. I very much enjoyed getting into better shape, and seeing the progress my running was making. Now don’t get
the wrong idea, I’m the slowest senior on the team, and probably one of the slower kids on the overall team. But even so, it’s still fun to try and do better every day. It’s a whole new experience.

So, you might ask, if I’m not good why did I stick with it?

Well, to be honest, I really just like hanging out with different people and trying out new things. I’ve played tennis for BC High for
three years, but with such a small team, I didn’t feel like I was getting a true sports team experience. But with track, we all run
together and complain together. I’ve met dozens of kids from all different grades. When I first started running, all of the seniors were pretty good friends and I didn’t know them so well. Regardless, they all welcomed me onto the team with open arms and happy faces. They even put up with my bombardment of questions about the team. They were very kind, and now I’ve gotten much closer with all of them.

I may not be very good at sprinting, but I am pretty good at forcing myself to try new things. And with track it paid off. I met
a ton of kids, I got into better shape, and had some fun. So here’s my challenge to anyone reading this: go out and try something that’s new. It doesn’t have to be something crazy, but something you’ve been wanting to do, but have been putting off for some reason. Don’t worry about how you’ll work it out, just give it a shot and see what happens.

Trying Something New