Soar as a junior

Brendan Amorin ‘18, Contributor

College.  Responsibility.  Becoming an adult.  As I entered my third year of high school, these thoughts buzzed in my mind constantly.  From past encounters with my peers, it is fair to say that these concepts torment the lives of almost any student who has lived through them.

In hindsight, here are some lessons I wish to impart upon those whose currently reality is what many consider the most important and transformative year of high school.

The idea I mainly wish to address today is what it means to be an upperclassmen because it is a role that can often be misconstrued during hectic nature of the school year.  I hope that this piece can reach out to not only eleventh graders, but also to underclassmen.

Foremost to the juniors, rest assured that a college will accept you, you will be able to maintain the responsibilities you take up if you keep a clear mind, and adulthood will reach your grasp in good time.

Trust your guidance counselors, teachers, administrators, and family.  For the most part, they endured what you now endure.  They want to see you reach your full potential.

On this point, a lecture from Mr. Hayes’ Ethics and Social Justice class resonates with me.

To paraphrase, Mr. Hayes instructed us that true justice is discovering your best self in the betterment of others.

Never before hearing this did I contemplate that being there for others would hone my own passions.  If anything, my journey to discovery was solely an individualistic mission.  With this perspective in mind, I will answer my original question.

In the simplest possible way, to be an upperclassmen is to keep doing what you are doing. Once again, rest assured that if you do not take every AP class or if you are not involved in every extracurricular activity, you will still end up where you belong.

Ideally by now, you have found your niche within the community, and if not, you still should try new things in order to find it.

A common misconception is that there is some hidden algorithm to leading a club or a team, but I guarantee that each of you has the ability to lead something.

At least one thing impassions every leader, which stands as the key for you.  Keep doing your best at what you love.  As you develop these passions, take risks that are outweighed by the love for these interests.

Do not let public speaking prevent you from running for student government if you love politics.

Do not let a standardized test keep you from your dream school, and if you do not get in, have no regrets because you brought your all.

You may stumble, but with your passion in your mind, nothing can stop you. Mr. Huynh described our role best while talking to the senior mentors.

We set the tone of the school through our enthusiasm. If some bring their best every day, then it will infect the atmosphere around them.

As an upperclassmen, you can show everybody that the best you stands as the only you that anyone deserves.

There never will exist a perfect mold for a leader, so do not try to force yourself into one that you do not fit, but rather pave your own style.

By showing our community our unique selves, everyone will be able to soar.   

Soar as a junior