On Lunch – Ramblin’ Amorin

“Whining about school, so you don’t have to”

Brendan Amorin, Staff Writer

They asked me if the world had had enough rambles. I scoffed and laughed. I told them, “The world will never have enough. We are just getting started.”

Hello there, ladies and gentlemen of BC High. I have returned to you all to continue my quest against the social woes that plague our community. With no need for further introduction, I will proceed to confront a most vicious grievance that endangers every member of the student body.

On Lunchtime…

Being on the backend of my high school experience, I can verify every interpretation of high school lunchtime within media. “It’s a jungle out there,” says Randy Newman (by the way, yes, I will be using this quote in every issue). Seriously, you need to be prepared for anything if you want to make it out alive.

On the topic of tables, let us discuss the means by which people acquire their seat at lunch. In my time, I have witnessed every combination of people moving someone’s books to another table, taking someone’s chair, and leaving their books on another table while they sit somewhere else. I have witnessed first hand as people attempt to maximize the amount of chairs one table can hold, and I have watched people sit on the windowsills. I will give everyone some credit in the fact that I have never had someone move my books off of a seat. I try not to be naive, so I understand that people want to sit with their friends, but we must remember that there are others who want to eat. If you see an extra chair somewhere, simply ask if anyone is using it. That is all it takes. On the other hand, you should not hog chairs for friends that could be coming. If there is no more room at a table, try finding a seat somewhere else. Maybe you can make a new friend or two. Anyone is welcome at my table. That is, of course, if you can tolerate my whining in person, too. You thought I was like this just on paper? How kind of you to give me the benefit of the doubt. Yes, kind, but mistaken.

Shall we transition to the lunch line? I do not think there is an equivalent to me sighing in writing, but let it be known that I just did. Honestly, why do we even have a lunch line? Chaos ensues once you enter the kitchen anyways. People cut to the front or have their friends save them a spot––which I thought was a practice that went extinct in middle school (curse you cut-cuts, and if you do not know what those are, then lucky you). Generally, I like a sandwich from the middle of the kitchen, so yes, I have to cut through the line, but once I am through, I am through. Because people are so used to defending their spot in the line, I have to fight just to get to my coveted salami and cheese. I try to empathize with them. It is very frustrating to watch someone cut in front of you and take the last of the buffalo chicken tenders. My solution: respect the line. Stand in line and wait your turn, and––I say this wholeheartedly––things will proceed quicker. Sometimes, I stand in line and feel as though I have not moved in a while. Just remember that everyone wants to eat as badly as you, and we can all get in and out in a timely manner.

Lastly and worst of all, the scene at the condiment counter is literally dangerous (not to misuse the word “literally”). Elbows flying, people pushing, and death glares staring are all attributes of this wasteland. We are high school students, so I do not think we need organized lines to decrease the amount of time it takes to grab a packet of pepper, but there must be a better way. I cannot tell you how many times I have been cut off by other people. Likewise, I cannot tell you how many times I have cut people off without even realizing it. I do not think that we are inherently bad people, but, in a lot of ways, we are distracted yet again by whatever our individual day brings us. Similar to the case of walking in the hallways and on the stairs, the solution is quite simple. We must develop a sense of empathy. Lunch should be a relaxing experience for everyone, but when we forget about others, we do things that can ruin another’s day without us even realizing it. In the case of the condiments, we should try to wait our turn and be aware of those around us.

So many of the issues I will talk about can easily be solved by putting others before yourself. It is a harder challenge than it seems, for sure, but if every person works to accomplish it in their everyday life, then we will be great.

Oh, also one more thing: pick up after yourself please. I reiterate: please pick up after yourself. The staff works very hard to keep our facilities clean, but that is no excuse for us to act like animals. We can be dignified, showing them the respect that all people deserve. Mr. Hughes makes it easy for you by bringing the trash to you. Just take the few minutes needed to respect your surroundings. As students, it is our responsibility to take care of BC High, too.

Thank you so much for reading, and if you have any grievances for me to share with the community, you can reach me at bm.amorin18@students.bchigh.edu.

On Lunch – Ramblin’ Amorin