• Meetings every Tuesday at 2:40 in M211

• The Eyes and Ears of BC High

• Follow the Eagle on twitter: @BCHighEagle

What We Should Talk About

Jack Donahue '17, Contributor

As I walk up the steps towards my 1800’s antique red house, I hear my mother yell to my sister asking her to do a favor. I open the white screen door with a loud creek, that awakes my snoring father from a nap. I toss my brown and red book bag into my glossy white locker and let out a soft moan as I untuck my button down shirt. I then sink into my couch, as the noise of air rings my ears from the pillows. I reach for my remote, I press the power button, and the screen awakes with a typical headline of 2016.

“Another unarmed black man has been shot and killed by white police officer.”

I look toward my father to see his reaction, but it was simply just a blank face. I am sitting on my couch almost in tears about how another catastrophe has happened once again, relating to an unarmed black man being shot and killed by a white police officer. This is just another typical day, coming home, turning on the television and seeing the same headlines. It’s simply shocking that these events have repeated, but people keep the problem unspoken.

Through the night nothing is spoken about the tragic event that just happened. I didn’t receive any texts, no questions form friends and not even a conversation with my mother and father. It is a regular day in my house, turning all the lights off around eleven and no words being spoken about the problem of race relations in our world today.

The next morning I wake up to the vibration and alarming sound of my phone on the old wooden floor. I follow through with my daily morning routine, showering, eating breakfast, brushing my teeth. I then start my forty five minute commute into the city of Boston as modern hip-hop comes through the speakers. I park my car in the student parking lot just left of the student walk way. As I look to my right I see a majority of African American young men walking to school, after taking the train to JFK/UMASS, but as I glare to my left, the student parking is only filled with white men. The headline from the night before is still parked in the back of my mind as the two colors clash as we hit the front doors of Boston College High School.

The morning moves on and it’s another day, but the same world. Kids shout racial slurs and mimic the stereotypes of others, but no one says stop. As we students sink into our desks our teachers start their subject lectures. But, through the six hours at school no one talked about that innocent black man that was shot yesterday afternoon. No problems were raised and no conversations were spoken, it was like the world doesn’t have any problems.

My mind runs, twists and turns about what problems go unspoken. Those questions arise through my head every day that a conflict arises in and around this nation. My mind speaks, but my lips can’t seem too move either. All of our minds might think the same way, but no one will ever know, until we all come together to talk and reflect on the problems that we need to fix.

What We Should Talk About