The Eagle

• Meetings every Tuesday at 2:40 in M211

• The Eyes and Ears of BC High

• Follow the Eagle on twitter: @BCHighEagle

Dear sophomores …

Billy Donoso '19, Contributor

While going into the 10th grade can be as nerve-wracking as any other year of school because of not knowing what to expect, it’s a huge step up from 9th. No matter how you’ve started your path at BC High, it feels like a routine that you can manage pretty easily. So I guess you’re wondering: will it stay that way?

No. There’s a reason you’re called sophomores after all, as I’m sure you’ve already been told by 90% of your teachers. I’m sure they emphasized the “moros” part more than the “sophos” one. Or maybe you’re totally lost right now and don’t know what I’m talking about (in which case, you’ll learn soon enough).

Anyways, if you continue to approach everything you do here with the same curiosity and passion that you (hopefully) had in freshman year, and not take for granted your teachers, peers, and surroundings, you’ll be surprised at how many opportunities you will encounter. If you fail to give yourself the time you deserve to be a part of this community in some way or another, it’s particularly easy as a sophomore to fall into a monotonous pattern of school life.

Let me share one of my adventures last year that I simply could not have expected in September. My Freshman year, I joined the Youth and Government club and left soon after. I gave it another shot sophomore year, and I’m incredibly glad that I did. Weekly and regional meetings culminated in a conference at the State House in March where I was then invited to compete in Chicago on the national level of mock trial. I made countless friends along the way to the Windy City and developed a passion I had never considered before, since I’ve always been relatively quiet and fearful of confrontation.

If there are any interests that are represented by a club, a sport, or a class that you’re not already a part of, give it a chance. You’re not signing a contract!

I tried out Greek in sophomore year because it truly sounded interesting and I found that it wasn’t the best fit for me, so I changed my courses this year. Although I wrote ‘hopefully’ in jest earlier, it’s never too late to reignite your passion.

Whatever that may be doesn’t matter as long as you own it and it brings you happiness and fulfillment. If you don’t do it now, after all, how will the leader in you shine to “Go and set the world on fire?”

Do I have any final tips? While I encourage you to take on sophomore year with a new and refreshed mindset, there will be direct hurdles I might be able to help you with. The dreaded sophomore essay? It is not too difficult and you will have plenty of time to do it.   

Don’t feel like a leader? Take notes (don’t literally, that would be weird) from upperclassmen or even peers who seem to be able to manage  just about anything

Organization? Do it. Now. If nothing else, think of sophomore year as a time to build study habits, or the foundations of them.

You will continue to develop them and will be able to handle challenges throughout your high school career if you know your personal strengths and weaknesses.

Tough to study for Scripture? Quizlet. Quizlet. Quizlet. I had Mr. Logan for “AP” Scripture so I’m pretty much a Jesuit at this point. As a studying tool it should become a good pal over this year, and although it would be easy to just mooch off of somebody else’s Quizlet, a good part of the learning actually takes place when you take the time to type everything down.

Find the time to decompress occasionally amid all the hard work in class or elsewhere on campu—don’t get yourself too wound-up. On that note, I wish you all the best of luck in your sophomore year!

The Eyes and Ears of BC High.
Dear sophomores …